- McGill email
- Biology Department
1205 Docteur Penfield
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1B1
- Curriculum Vitae
- T-PULSE Teaching Fellowship
- BIOL645 Biodiversity Field Course
(Lecturer & Section Designer)
- BIOL202 Introduction to
Genetic Analysis (TA)
- BIOL373 Biometry (Guest Lecturer & TA)
- BIOL200 Molecular and Cell Biology (TA)
- Facilitated Workshops
- Skillsets Learning to Teach
- BGSA R/Statistics Workshops
- Incorporating multiple levels of stochasticity and epistemic uncertainty using hierarchical Bayesian models to forcast invasions.
- General state-space modeling of time series invasion processes.
- Corey Chivers (2013). rvmapp: Validation Metric Applied to Probabilistic Predictions. R package version 0.1-1.Pre-released.
- Corey Chivers (2012). MHapaptive: General Markov Chain Monte Carlo for Bayesian Inference using adaptive Metropolis-Hastings sampling. R package version 1.1-8.
- NCEAS The National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (Non-Native Forest Pests and Pathogens Working Group)
- CAISN Canadian Aquatic Invasive Species Network
- Chivers, C., Leung, B., Yan (2013) Probabilistic predictions in ecology and their validation. in prep.
- Low-Decarie, E., Chivers, C. & Granados, M. (2013) Rising complexity and falling predictive power in ecology. in review.
- Bradie, J., Chivers, C. & Leung, B. (2013) Importing risk: quantifying the propagule-pressure establishment relationship at the pathway level. Diversity and Distributions. doi:10.1111/ddi.12081
- Chivers, C & Leung, B. (2012) Predicting invasions: Alternative models of human-mediated dispersal and interactions between dispersal network structure and Allee effects. Journal of Applied Ecology, 49: 1113-1123. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2664.2012.02183.x
- Aukema JE, Leung B, Kovacs K, Chivers C, Britton KO, et al. (2011) Economic Impacts of Non-Native Forest Insects in the Continental United States. PLoS One 6(9): e24587. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0024587
- Chivers, C. (2013) From Whale Calls to Dark Matter: Competitive Data Science with R and Python. Montreal Python. (Montreal, QC. June, 2013)
- Chivers, C. & Leung, B. (2013) Implications of uncertainty: Bayesian modelling of aquatic invasive species spread. International Conference on Aquatic Invasive Species. (Niagara Falls, ON. April, 2013)
- Chivers, C. (2013) Future Avenues for Open Data. Open Data Exchange. (Montreal, QC. April, 2013)
- Chivers, C. (2013) Predictive Ecology and Management Decisions Under Uncertainty. McGill BGSA Organismal Seminar Award. (Montreal, QC. January, 2013)
- Chivers, C. & Leung, B. (2011) Interactions between dispersal network structure and Allee Effects. Quebec Centre For Biodiversity Science. (Montreal, QC. September, 2011) (french)
- Chivers, C., Guillemette, J., Ragan, K. (2012) Predictive Modelling of Student Grades and Comparisons with Conceptual Gains. The Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. (Montreal, QC. June, 2012)
- Chivers, C. (2009) Why Aren't We All Bayesians? Paris Interdisciplinary PhD Symposium. (Paris, France. December, 2009)
- Hacktaville Prize for most interesting data mashup. Project: Velobstacle.
- HackReduce Montreal First place team for Bixi data visualization
- Stanford CS184 Startup Engineering
- New York Times In This Battle Arena, Warriors Are Armed With Algorithms
- Wall Street Journal Do the Numbers Behind Prism Add Up? (pdf).
- LA Times More global trade means more forest pests
- Washington Post Invasive insects are growing threat to trees, forests
- New York Times The Toll From Tree-Boring Pests
- Montreal Gazette McGill grad student visualizes Bixi station activity and Bike accidents visualized over time
- Wall Street Journal Taxpayers Feel Bite From Invasive Species
- Science Daily Local Government, Homeowners Paying Price for Non-Native Forest Insects, U.S. Study Finds
- Scientific American Invasive Insects Take Big Cash Bite
- BBC P-value fallacy on More or Less
- Quartz Simple math shows why the NSA's Facebook spying is a fool's errand
- Popular Science A Concise History Of The NSA's Online Spying Program PRISM
- The Performance of Open Source Applications - Technical review.
- Reproducible Research with R & RStudio. CRC Taylor & Francis Press - Peer review (book).
- Ecological Applications - Peer review
- Trend in Ecology and Evolution - Peer review
- Biological Invasions - Peer review
- Journal of Applied Ecology - Peer review
Invasion Biology Modeling
My research focuses on the development of forecasting, risk, and impact assessment models of non-native species. By combining computational simulations with both biological and sociological data, my research aims to provide decision support to resource managers and policy makers.
With an emphasis on uncertainty quantification through the construction of Bayesian models, I analyze the implications of various human and biological factors on the spread of fresh water invasive species, including: 1) environmental and demographic stochasticity, 2) dispersal network structure, and 3) human behavioural feedbacks to policy decisions. Together, this research provides novel insights into both ecological processes and environmental policy.